Friday, November 03, 2006

A Walk Around Ewan

Over the next few weeks I’ll be uploading pictures of different parts of Dubai, starting with where I live in Dubai Investments Park (near Green Community) in Jebel Ali.


On the other side of the road from Ewan Residences is a ‘desert’. Oh ya, the sun is HUGE on this side of the world!

Ok, it’s not like the open desert but a big piece of land being developed into buildings, complexes, factories, Dubai Motor City, and such. Walking away from Ewan and towards Courtyard@Marriott, there’s a dirt road next to Ewan that leads to more ‘desert’ and a camel farm.


For someone like Ben who grew up in a country that has all its power cables, phone lines or whatever hidden underground, these tall electrical tower thingies all over Dubai freak him out a lot. He says there’s just something about it that’s really eerie.

I dunno about eerie, but walking past them, with all the cables hanging above, you hear this buzzing sound. It’s quite loud actually. I’m not sure if it’s just the sound of the cables vibrating against the cool evening breeze, or if it’s really the sound of millions of volts of electricity passing through those lines. I kept my fingers crossed that the signal from my cellphone didn’t make me some sort of human electromagnet n fry me black.

Anyway, past these cable tower thingies behind Ewan, is more desert. Ben and I agree that this area looks really “Tatooine”. What with the desert, bizzare sunsets, reversed moon, odd-looking creatures…

There are actually many holes in the sand, caused by small burrowing creatures that were too fast for me to identify. Maybe bringing my diving booties and torchlights here wasn’t a dumb idea after all. Anyway, the small camel farm is further down this dirt road.


Now THIS is eerie, after the sun set, the camels started to bleat. Like oversized goats going b-e-h-h—b-e-h-h—b-e-h-h… except that it sounded like they were crying out to me. I decided not to go closer or stray further down the road as I wasn’t in the mood to get chased by camels, or worse, the bored n lonely camel ‘jaga’s.

No comments: