Sunday, April 29, 2007

Here comes the sun


Spring's almost over, and summer slowly creeping up on us. It's getting hotter by the day now! Had a few visitors from Singapore recently. First there was Andrew, then Merey, son n friends, and Jeannie (from PJ). Jeannie is Amir's wife (they just got married in January), and Amir is Ben's colleague at Al Mahara. She was here for a week, so one day while Amir was at work, Jeannie came over in the late afternoon and we chatted till midnight.

Last week, my friend Razmi, his Mom, aunt, uncle n mom's friends were here in Dubai for a few days. Razmi's mom 'Cik Ratna, aunt 'Cik 'Esah and mom's colleague 'Cik Zauyah work with SATS so they get discounted travel privileges for themselves and family. Razmi will turn 21 this October, so it's his last chance to make use of this.

Razmi and family stayed at Naif Road in Deira, as his Mom wanted to be as close as possible to Phulwani, the infamous "Air Crew Shop" selling enough silk and material to put Globe Silk Store and Kamdar out of business. The 3 aunties visited the shop every day. Dubbed the 'Air Crew Shop' because it's a favourite haunt of MAS and SIA cabin crew, Phulwani is especially popular with Malays as they sell really affordable kain for baju kurung. 'Cik Ratna, well-known for her 'power' bargaining skills, also bought a whole lot of beaded and sequinned cushion covers, table placemats n such for a really good price.


The day I met up with them, we had a rather late lunch at Delhi Darbar after the 3 makciks reluctantly left Phulwani. Then we headed towards Al Sabkha to buy perfume, dates and nuts. Razmi wanted to go to the beach, so the next day, he stayed over at our apartment in Gardens. I brought him to Madinat Jumeirah to take some pictures, and later spent the evening at Jumeirah Beach till sunset.

Razmi n I

After the beach, we took a cab to Ibn Battuta Mall for dinner and for him to do some shopping. He's into clothes and shoes now, looking for Onitsuka shoes and striped Polo shirts. Ben was off the next day, so we brought him to the Mall of the Emirates for more shopping. I wasn't feeling too well so Ben n I just lepak-ed at a comfy coffee place while Razmi had the freedom to jalan-jalan without me hanging about like an 'aunty'. It was really cool spending time with Raz, and gaining tips like downloading movies thru Azureus!

Yesterday, my brother Andrew had a short layover here again for half a day, bringing with him 'supplies' from home sweet home - some taucheo and buah keras that I forgot to bring over the last time I was back in Singapore. And he also brought over an air humidifier for us, so hopefully this will grant us better sleep, no more nose bleeds, dry skin and chapped lips.

I may not be blogging as much for a while as I'm trying to complete Ben's website and still have a lot to read up about the latest web designing tools, 'cos the last time I used Dreamweaver was many versions ago so I'm pretty much a newbie to it now. Andrew left Dubai carrying with him a stack-load of mail - Ben's CV and portfolio to be sent out to various establishments in Japan, Hong Kong and China. It costs Dhs.13.50 to send each one out from here (and we had more than 30 to send), so poor Andrew has not only been our personal courier, but now Singpost guy too. Ben n I are doing ok here... Ben's just keeping his options open, that's all.


After meeting up with Andrew, I popped by Deira City Centre to get some stuff from Carrefour and to check out the spanking new Krispy Kreme outlet that opened here in March. No long queues reminiscent of the Singapore-MacDonalds-HelloKitty craze here.


I had donuts for breakfast, and lunch, and dinner, and supper! I SMS-ed Ben that I had spent 48 Dirhams on coffee n donuts, and in another SMS, I told him about how Krispy Kreme was having a Double Dozen promotion, and in the 15 mins that I was there, I saw 3 men walk away with 4 dozen each! Ben didn't read my message properly, so freaking out, he told his colleague that I bought FORTY-EIGHT donuts... And spent the whole evening wondering if I was pregnant!

I only ate four out of the 'measly' seven donuts I bought... Yes, just seven. Put back those cigars n the champagne dude...

No comments: