Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Someone’s turned my world upside down!

I found it quite strange that the crescent on some logos and displays here were inverted. I mean, I know Arabic is read from right to left, but I guess it hits you that you’re really in a foreign country when you start seeing stuff that you’re used to seeing in mirror image. I mean, back home, you have the crescent on the Jalur Gemilang, Red Crescent Society logo, atop mosques, and even on cans of abalone.


So on the third day of Eid (pronounced “eed”, for Eid al Fitr, what we know as Hari Raya Aidilfitri), I decided to look to the sky for answers. Yup, you see the moon upside down or front to back or whatever here.


I guess I never thought about it. I mean, I know you have different constellation maps for the Northern and Southern hemisphere, but it never struck me that even the moon would be inverted. So that means as I stand on the balcony some evenings to watch the sun set, you could be standing somewhere else in the world at a really funny angle, watching the sun rise. Amazing.

No comments: